Saturday 24 March 2012

I have an allotment!

Walking past my local village hall last night I spotted a sign which said that there were two allotments available for local residents.  I quickly scribbled down the contact details and at 9.30 this morning I rang to enquire. By 10.30 I was being shown around by two delightful ladies and by 11am, an allotment was mine. I cannot describe how excited I am!

When I lived in the town I had a garden, not very large, but large enough to potter in, have a fantastic herb patch and grow at least some fresh veg. Ironically my move to the country 12 years ago meant a move to a house with a very tiny front garden only 2ft x 4ft approx and a very dull, enclosed, north facing rear yard. I grow a few herbs in the front, but as the back yard is surrounded on three sides by two storey extensions all I tend to manage here is a few pots of bizzy lizzies in summertime. I do love where I live, but have really missed the opportunity to grow things and particularly to have access to freshly picked salads in summer.

There is a lot of work to do, but both Dave and I are eagerly looking forward to getting started. I was so excited this morning that despite taking my camera with me when I went to view the allotment, I totally forgot to take any pictures!!! 

I will remedy that situation tomorrow.

I did remember that I had the said camera with me on my stroll home however and couldn't help but notice that it wasn't just me with a "spring" in my step, but spring has definitely sprung!


I passed several trees with these delicate blossoms on - not sure what they are, do any of you know?


 A closer look at the blossoms.

 Celendine flowering among nibbled ransom (wild garlic) leaves.

Buds ready to burst into leaf.

I didn't get the job I was interviewed for the other day, and from Friday, I shall join the growing ranks of the unemployed, but for today - I'm full of the joys of spring!

Linda xxx

5 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! Just the sort of thing i would do if i'd seen that notice where we live - i too would have been on that phone first thing in the morning! :) It was obvioulsy "meant-to-be"!!...sadly the job wasn't, but keep smiling something will come up i'm sure. Looking forward to some allotment photos! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely, i can remember my grandad having an allotment. I shall follow you closely. I'm not a very good gardener myself but I have a greenhouse which I get a lot of pleasure from. I do hope you soon get fixed up with a job, must be worrying.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I wish you lots of joy with it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased you bagged an allotment. It's hard work but you get to eat the rewards. Sorry you didn't get the job but it leaves you with more time to sow, grow and eat!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such good news. I am glad I have found someone who I can share my allotment stories with. It makes for such a great hobby and nothing beats being outdoors, I know if I wasn't spending my weekends at the allotment I would just be stuck in watching the same boring old TV.
    I can't wait to see what recipes you make up with your own veg! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...